Relay help please.
10-25-2021, 02:07 PM
Club Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 461
Relay help please.
I feel like an idiot for asking this as I should know the answer but I want to use my horn button to power a relay that would switch a low voltage garage door remote. The remote is 3V, I would modify it so it would be switched by the 12V relay.
I would have two wires coming from the remote that would be between the contacts the remote button used to connect together. I feel like I would connect one of those wires to pin 30 of the relay (already at 12V potential) and the other to pin 87 (switched on with the horn button press). Is this correct?
It's been many years since I messed with components so I apologize for the question. The back story on this is the horn button (2014 Limited) is no longer connected to a horn and I'd like to use it to open my garage door using the horn wiring that is already close to the left side cover. I put a Apple Homekit opener on the garage door opener but interference from the bike prevents it from working while the bike is on.
10-25-2021, 02:21 PM
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: .
Posts: 6,100
Most micro 12 volt relays have a normally closed and a normally open contact. If it only has 4 pins then it only has the normally open contact.
You will connect the remote operating button connections to the contact pins only and it will then use its own 3 volt supply.
The relay then has the two pins for the coil. If your horn button when pressed is to ground then you will put 12 volts to the other side of the coil. If the horn button is to pass 12 volts then you will ground the other side of the coil.
Unfortunately I have just looked at the wiring diagram and your bike uses CAN so the buttons send commands and don't switch voltages.
Wiring diagram - 99949-14_en - 2014 Wiring Diagrams | Harley-Davidson SIP
Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 10-25-2021 at 02:26 PM.
10-25-2021, 02:38 PM
Club Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 461
That was why I wanted to use the 12V wire that used to be connected to the horn, it should give me 12V when I press the horn button. So I would connect the old horn wires to pins 86 (+) and 85 (-) and the remote to 30 and 87? That seems more logical and was the reason I wanted to pick brains here - I was thinking the relay drew power from pin 30 for the coil, but now I'm remembering it's completely isolated.
Thank you.
10-25-2021, 07:39 PM
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,104
I bought a odometer reset button and soldered the wires to the garage door remote. Drilled a small hole for the push button and used double sided tape to hide it behind the dash panel.
Typical relay
The following users liked this post:
10-26-2021, 08:58 AM
Club Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 461
I thought about a separate button but since the horn button is already unused I thought that would be a good one to use. If I ever decide to add another horn I don't really have any neighbors close by so it wouldn't hurt anything.
10-26-2021, 09:18 AM
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,159
so how is the horn operated now? direct from power>switch>horn?
i would have to look at the schematic but if the horn has a driver circuit in the ecu, you can use that driver to operate the relay, would be just like the horn. now if the ecu driver does not work or the control matrix is shot then another switch would be necessary.
what year?
10-26-2021, 09:21 AM
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: .
Posts: 6,100
The driver circuit is in the BCM. That is why I questioned the use of the switch on the handlebars on a CAN bus bike.
So the OP clarified he is picking up power from where the horn is and not actually using the switch directly.
With no horn that would fail inspection in the UK. Is it not tested in America? Do bikes not need a horn?
Wiring diagram link in post #2
Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 10-26-2021 at 09:25 AM.
10-26-2021, 05:19 PM
Club Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 461
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
With no horn that would fail inspection in the UK. Is it not tested in America? Do bikes not need a horn?
Some states have vehicle inspections, but not mine. It's nothing like the MOT over there even in inspected states. I remember growing up in Norfolk, my dad had a small rust hole in the front wing of his Morris Minor 1000 and it failed MOT. Over here it wouldn't matter at all.
The following users liked this post:
10-26-2021, 11:25 PM
Club Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 461
Update - I finished it up a few minutes ago, bad video but the bike is still up on the lift and I have to be up at 4AM. Everything is in the left side cover near the fuse box, I hooked to the power wire right there. Thank you for your help all!
Last edited by Ultra103; 10-26-2021 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Added youtube link
10-27-2021, 01:06 PM
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,159
ecu is just a loose term not necessarily "engine"
glad you got it ironed out.
we have inspections here but it is a joke, more of a money generator for the state.
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Last Post
scoop_fraser
General Topics/Tech Tips
8
05-24-2020 11:57 AM
Fossil
General Harley Davidson Chat
7
04-02-2011 04:13 AM
harleylay
Evo Classic Models
6
02-08-2011 08:47 AM
saintslax11
Softail Models
19
01-30-2011 02:46 PM
Jinxie
Evo Classic Models
7
09-02-2007 12:45 AM
Source: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/electrical-lighting-alarm/1386376-relay-help-please.html
Posted by: janethapplicanceaed.blogspot.com
Posting Komentar